World No. 1 Ash Barty withdraws from two major US tournaments due to health concerns
Australian Open women’s champions and World No. 1 Ash Barty has withdrawn from two major US tournaments citing health concerns.
Tennis
Don't miss out on the headlines from Tennis. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Australian Open women’s champion Ash Barty has ruled herself out of the Indian Wells Masters, set to start next week, due to health concerns.
Barty hasn’t returned to the court since becoming the first Aussie since Chris O’Neil in 1978 to win the Australian Open, defeating American Danielle Collins in straight sets on January 29.
After sitting out the St Petersburg Ladies Trophy, the first women’s tennis association event since the Aussie Open, Barty last week announced she planned to compete at the Indian Wells Masters in California, starting on March 9.
Watch Tennis Live with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. Live Coverage of ATP + WTA Tour Tournaments including Every Finals Match. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
The World No. 1 has today confirmed she will not be competing due to health concerns.
“I wanted to share an update on my schedule for the coming months,” Barty said in a statement.
“Unfortunately my body has not recovered the way I’d hoped after the Australian Open and I have not been able to adequately prepare for the Indian Wells and Miami.
“I don’t believe I am at the level necessary to win these events and as a result I have decided to withdraw from both tournaments.
“I love these events and am sad not to be there competing but getting my body right must be my focus.”
She is not the only big name to pull out of the tournament with Collins also withdrawing.
Barty said her aim was to be fit enough to represent Australia at the Billie Jean King Cup qualifying event which starts on April 15 in Australia.
“After missing the BJK Cup last year I can’t wait to wear the green and gold again,” she said.
More Coverage
Barty finished by passing on her thoughts and best wishes to those affected by the weather and the war in Ukraine.
“On a more important note it has been a tough few weeks at home in Australia and around the world. I send all of my thoughts and best wishes to everyone in Queensland and New South Wales who have been affected by the devastating floods.
“To the people of Ukraine, especially my peers in the tennis family, we are all thinking of you and hope for peace.”
Originally published as World No. 1 Ash Barty withdraws from two major US tournaments due to health concerns